Sunday, August 30, 2020

Some Maintenance, Another Quick Overnight

 

 The KLR made some funny noises when I first took it out this spring and then I saw why.  Maybe squirrels over winter, mice more likely.

Mid-Covid summer I decided that I didn't really want to spend any more repair money this season and that I'd wait for winter to fix this one, next season to ride.  But then I considered the potential issues with the fuel from just sitting for another six months and decided to deal with it now.

 

I thought of my brother and his KLR right away....maybe he might benefit from a spare.  He was approached, given the suggestion of possibly reversing it and I have to say that in his short answer, at least so far, among the words I heard, I did not hear "no".  I've cleaned it up and will hang onto it for awhile just in case; doesn't take up much space in the shop.


Freshly ready for some miles, I decided to take the KLR for a quick overnight camp at our nearby State Forest campground.  All very last minute, I told Peg that if the campground was full, I'd be back that evening....but it wasn't, I was early enough to have my choice of spots.

Riding through the first loop, down at he little cul-de-sac, there were some campers and lo and behold, an old Gen 1 KLR.  The conversation started before I could get my helmet off and earplugs out but it didn't take long for the introductions to follow.   There were far more things in common than a couple of old Kawasaki's, neighborhoods, trades, past riding experiences...attitudes...:)  Later Jeff and his wife stopped by the campfire where we really started nailing down all of the commonalities.  

Nice to meet you both, sorry I didn't end up back at your fire.  I'm still gifted with my 4-5am wake up times every day and by the time the wood was gone and the darkness settled, it was time for bed.

Jeff, I mentioned my and our family's history with the park; this photo taken right below your campsite.  Somewhere there are photos of my truck, my Yamaha AT1 Enduro and my brother's SL100 Honda in what is now campsite #1 for a weekend of camping and riding earlier in the 70's.  Here's a photo dated 1975...dad's 1963 Impala SS and our snowmobile trailer with (by then) dad's SL100, Kevin's Yamaha 250MX and my AT1 hiding behind, down in the picnic area.  Dad, Kevin and I did a lot of bike buying and swapping those years.  All of this back when motorcycles on the State Forest trails were highly respected.  Hard to confirm from this distance but my beard was a different color back then, my hair more lush.

Later in the early 80's, I'm not sure Peg and I were officially connected, we two visited the park, hiked and you know.  Finally, 4 kids and 2 dogs later, we tromped the trails w/o motors and picnicked.

Date stamped, to avoid confusion, old vs. new.



I had coffee and oatmeal along but decided to not even stay long enough to fix it.  Packed up and headed directly home.  An absolutely bluebird day, the kind perfect for riding.


The lawn was on the edge of getting away from me this session, time spent riding this week possibly should have been spent mowing.  I've used some sophisticated satellite imagery to determine that our hilly nook and cranny yard is just over 2/3 (.69) of an acre and most mowings are split between a couple of days.  Saturday I did it with only a lunch break in between to spread the health benefits at least a smidge for a better, healthy distribution.

This was just about the very last of it Saturday afternoon.

Sunday, another quite lazy start.  It seems I'm getting quite good at them.  A gas stop in Amery, two loaded big rigs there, both filled with green beans.

On up to Comstock and a stop for cheese....




 On up to Cumberland and a stop at Louie's....



I wasn't exactly sure where but I knew the theme....lunch in a County Park somewhere so I did a Search.

My Search said that Kirby Lake had six campsites, primitive and free.  Each and every word an apt and succinct description of what I found there.


My buffet table for luncheon...loved that word ever since reading Dr. Doolittle to the kids.

 

What's a luncheon without ice cream??  Back down to Amery and a stop at Ellie's.


Here's the Another Quick Overnight....

And here's the Kirby Lake Trip...


These made the group's texting rounds this week so I thought I'd share.

Mike's suggestion.....here's the bookmark for the Manual.





6 comments:

  1. Doug, Doug, Doug....that sprocket is now only good for someone's art project. Or trash. Is that more or less what Kev said? In a certain way? Wow, your dad let the '63 out for your camping?! Oh, I see. 3 bikes....so.... HE drove it. Yes, the '70s were a hairy time. Curd wagon...yes please. I never thought there would be such a thing as a big rig filled with green beans. Prolly 'cause I never thought about it other than opening the can and finding them in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know us KLR types, we're a frugal lot...I gave him a chance. Actually, I think he's looking for a spot on the wall to hang it, captioned, "Look What My Dufus Brother Created!!"

      You caught it...dad was our chaperone. I did drive it a time or two, it felt like using the king's best horse.

      Can..a can??!! Do they squeak in a can??

      Delete
    2. Oops, I got so excited, BEANS in a can. Yes, not curds. That really surprised me as you can tell.

      In our part of the state, maybe yours too, lots of sweet corn, earlier in the summer over here the peas are being hauled, 24/7. As you drive by, the aroma almost overpowering.

      Delete
    3. -the sprocket is now Unintentional Art.
      -ooh, look! The enter key DOES work so the various subjects in one note can be detected.
      -"king's best horse" I'M SURE!
      -That's one reason why we ride; smells!

      Delete
  2. Nice selection of cheese curds. Actually, I’ve never seen them flavored like that. I guess I don’t get out much…

    I like the Impulsive Bike Buyers Guide. Are you the reason such a book exists?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flavored ones were new to me also. I'm only familiar with the ones labeled FRESH.

      If my habit gets any worse, I'll be looking for my very own copy. Lots of Haynes manuals here, seems a condensed chapter in the back of all of them a wise addition, certainly for the > 20 year old models.

      Delete