Monday, June 13, 2022

Circle Full, The Wrap - 2022/06/13

I thought my Wisconsin circle idea was a good one and it has been, it was fun, informative and educational too in some interesting ways.  As a Minnesotan, there have always been strong connections with the State.  Dad grew up there (born in MN though) and as anyone knows that has visited my blog, I've spent a lot of time traveling there.  It's interesting to me that a big river makes visiting our neighbor to the east a bit of work....it does change things in many ways...but is a hurdle I overcome rather easily.

I feel a connection to Wisconsin and enjoy being there, it's that simple.  Nuanced differences and yet mostly the same as here, at least in my eyes.  I watched people speak and listened to their smiles.....there was a lot of that, a part of travel that opens up and brightens even the darker days.  Two couples stood out and both were near the end of my trip.  

The first, an afternoon conversation in Ashland.  They were returning home to NH from a trip west.  He, a BMW rider that told me something about a new Moto Guzzi (had the T-shirt on) that I knew nothing of.  We met again over motel breakfast, some very kind and generous compliments about my blog before each heading our opposite directions.

I turned off Hwy 13 in Cornucopia (there only a few weeks ago on the Himalayan) to get my obligatory photo of the scooter in front of the Twin Sisters, Peg's grandfather's fishing boat.  A gentleman was jogging past, noticed and asked if I'd like my photo taken on the bike.  I thanked him but declined.

Back on the bike, I stopped downtown, curious to see if the Coffee Shop was open and it was.  I parked, took my coffee and scone outside on the patio in the warming-sun.  The same gentleman and his wife followed me outside a minute later.

"Hello again"

I asked if they were residents and soon we were sharing people, people's names, locations and events in Cornucopia history. A bit younger than Peg whom had spent time each summer with family as a little girl there, she knew town during the same era.  Even I was familiar with a lot.  If only Peg had been there.....it wasn't until later when I was back on the bike that some of the names and faces came back to me of those I had met, knew of and about.  Many connections, our chance meeting and reminiscences brought back smiles to each of us.  Back in the late 70's Cornucopia seemed special to me as I rode through, who knew that it would someday be part of my future wife's childhood? 

Around the State, there were young people working, old people not.  Way too many of us in self-imposed hurries, I'm hoping a habit broken some day.  80 mph so that we can stand in line 10 minutes while our coffee is being created?  I had no idea that 45 mph speed limits on the edges of town means 65, slowing to 25 or 30 only happens half way through to the other side.

It's always intriguing to me, eastern Wisconsin along the lake is older and it shows in itsarchitecture and the way towns and villages are laid out.  Older agriculture but especially older industry, notably along the lake where transportation started early.  Things are different over here on the western side.

Fish Market, Bayfield...

Rittenhouse Inn....

Gruenke's....

West on 13...

Cornucopia's artesian well...


Cornucopia Marina...

 
Corny Coffee...


Herbster....

Waterfront campground...



Leaving Herbster, back on 13 to Superior...

 
Cooled to 51 degrees along the lake....


A bathroom break at the Wayside...

Coolest I saw...49 degrees.  It took a long time to get back to upper 60's.

 
It really is "13 North" but here I'm going south, soon to turn west.  Wisconsin 13 starts at Wisconsin Dells and works its way north and then west to Superior.


The famous Windmill ....

 A stop in Danbury, if it's not the capital of Quads and Side by Sides, I'd be surprised.


Luck, Wisconsin, home of Duncan YoYo's.

Light showers...

 
South of Hudson...

Back to the Mississippi River in Diamond Bluff.

Crossing the river at Red Wing, back in Minnesota.  Almost home.

A week-long trip, 1411 miles in total.  One short ride in Illinois, two short rides in Michigan, otherwise Wisconsin all the way.  I had fun, the Scarabeo was flawless....I knew it would be and have been anxious to go for just this sort of trip.

2 comments: