Saturday, June 12, 2021

Things Are Growing - 2021/06/12

Considering that we are on the edge, likely just over that edge, it's drought time here but our garden is growing like mad.  We had a surprising .4" one night (storm came in from the East....weird) and that's about it for many weeks.  On top of that, a string of days, more than nine I believe where we've had highs of 90 or more.  The plants want to grow, the deer want to eat, especially the sugar snaps and the tiny corn plants.  Our fence isn't up yet, not for lack of planning or enthusiasm.  We have some special length corner posts ordered and it's taking weeks for them to arrive.  A call yesterday told us they were now in town (Friday) and the delivery folks will drop them here on Tuesday......hope so.....we've heard that before with just about everything we're ordering.  The Zero Turn, the chicken coop, the greenhouse, all of them multiple days or weeks late but then everything is running that way it seems.

Speaking of delayed orders, we can't get fence posts to save our life but I ordered a table from Japan and it arrived in 3 days.



Some of you may know of the UNROOF 'Tube channel, hosted by a very talented and innovative craftsman, camper, cook and motorcyclist in Japan.  I've watched his camping, his fabricated gear, customized 650 Kawasaki, cooking skills and videography....this fellow is a talent!  When I noticed that he had a store, I went to look for one of his tables.  

"SOLD OUT"

In the end, that was fortuitous.  He later updated the design to include a heat-safe metal plate on one end.  After a couple of snafus between my CC and a web store in mostly Japanese, the order was placed.

The kit...3 main laser cut plywood sections and 'keys' for alignment and spacing.


Leg sliding in to the retention notch...

Slots for the heat shield...

Sections assembled, glued and complete.

Table upside down, legs in place...

Three layers sandwiched together with legs in their storage slots.

The UNROOF trademark.....

I've seen it carried, removed, setup and cooked on in his videos.  Can't wait to do the same with mine!

In preparation for the supposedly-soon-to-be-delivered fence posts, I decided to dig a few holes.  We've been nervous and our concern was justified about this one corner.  We've located a corner of the garden right over the top of a former cattle loafing shed, this end had a massive foundation that we've run into and worked around while tilling the garden.


 

When/if the posts finally do arrive, I'll put the extension on and go down another 18".  Lots of work yet to be done.

 Hopefully to protect this....



The other part(s) around here doing the growing....

Thirsty out of the box....

 

With my guidance and tutelage, the chicks have mastered peeping.  Scope and content of further training will continue to grow.

 Swimming lessons next....Monday we'll start out in the shallow end of the pool.

Eating from my hand....


We had some weather, or rather our neighbors did.  A very isolated Severe Thunderstorm with 75mph winds did a lot of damage in a very small area...Red Wing hit hard.  Some wind at home, not a drop of rain.



I had just crossed the river on the Honda 400 Auto and noticed some very black skies over my shoulder, stopped, checked the radar and retreated back to my side of the river....a good time to break for lunch at Randy's in Red Wing.  Both cameras had been left in my jacket outside, I'd just gone out to retrieve them when...

I think this was when my helmet got cooled off.....


But it's not always nasty....

Out early on the 400 Auto, first real ride with this one in '21.  Selected as my steed all weekend and I'll use the word endearing without exaggeration to describe our time together while in motion.

Sunday morning, another spin on the old 400 and things were going just fine...

No lights, no whirring starter, no nothing....fuses checked, wires, connections wiggled.  In the shade if I looked very closely, a dim OIL PRESS light.  Not even enough to light the big N in my N-1-2 indicator.  At that point, I quit looking and made the call for rescue.  Peg wasn't in London this time...and took the call.

This is where and why I was on my way and was only a couple of miles from the destination.

12 volts no-load, 2,25 volts with ignition ON.  More numbers for the diagnosis, 4/16 scratched into the battery case.

 Oh well, something to take my mind off of raccoons.  The pesky buggers, I've had it about up to here.  Any and all means necessary will be used to make some changes around here.

Trail cam has been in the woods for a year and a half, lots of deer sightings but only a handful of the masked bandits waddling through the field of view.  This past week I retrieved the camera to place it near the steps, certain to capture the rascals invading our bird feeders and deck. I was surprised to see all of this activity right in front of the camera on a tree that's so far been quiet.  I'm guessing a bird's nest was just too tempting.  Could have been our Pileated, I know she's nesting somewhere up there.


So with the camera in place.....10:36


10:53....


2:06.....


Departure at 2:11....


A good thing the feed trays and two deck hummingbird feeders had been inside.  That doesn't mean we avoided overnight damage however.

They climbed the metal fence panels and pulled (already damaged once) the feeder down, this time finishing it off.  One of the 'flowers' was already missing and I looked everywhere...quite sure they ate that one before getting their fill.

I doubt the critters realize who they're dealing with....they'll soon find out.




No comments:

Post a Comment