Sunday, November 18, 2018

Took A Couple Of Days

A short work week this past week, Monday/Tuesday short and another one coming up for the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Days off and not a single leg over one of the bikes.  In fact, I barely even saw them; I was in the garage that little.  Plenty of other things going on though so just because there wasn't any direct contact, that doesn't mean they (and what they allow me to enjoy) weren't in my thoughts.  Trip planning, gear, packing, etc. are always in the background, sometimes more prominent than others.

Early last week our daughter was on her way to Detroit for an audition when the call came.  Stopped on the side of the toll road, south side of Chicago, car won't go and smells bad.  Some phone calls, one to AAA, a tow, diagnosis and the decision to replace a transmission all in the course of little over and hour.  She rented a car and continued on to Detroit, used that car to come all of the way back home and Wednesday afternoon I met her at the Rochester airport after she had turned the rental in and brought her home.

A couple of weeks ago I was in Spearfish, SD on business for a few days and missed installment #4 of my evening class Red Wing History 1815-2015.

My favorite Rest Stop, Chamberlain, SD.  A good thing the museum was closed for the season or I'd have spent too much time there before continuing west.


Spearfish Canyon...


Fred Johnson, author and local historian has a deep and thorough understanding of history in general, our Minnesota and Red Wing area background in particular.  His mother-in-law and my mom are neighbors in the local assisted living facility and on Thursday afternoon, in a tucked away common area on the 3rd floor there I was lucky enough to spend 2 full hours conversing and learning with Fred.  Our time together a true and long lasting pleasure with not only what I'd missed on that Tuesday evening a couple of weeks ago discussed but some subjects precious to us both reaching far and wide.  Thank you so very much Fred for your time spent sharing facts and ideas that we both seem to be passionate about!

The call came from Carter at Finish Line Auto Service Center in South Holland, IL that Lauren's car was ship shape and ready to go.  In a perfect world, the repaired car would have been complete and ready to go when she was on her way home from the Motor City earlier in the week but that was not to be.  My taking Amtrak down was very strongly considered and sounded like the perfect adventure; an Uber from Union Station to the South Holland location researched but there was concern about that entire process not being complete before the repair shop's closing at 5PM.  In the end my brother made the trip with me, his trip (and day) 4 hours longer than mine and mine was plenty long enough.  Thank you bro for your kind help with the retrieval!

We left Frontenac at 7AM and I was back in the driveway at 8PM, the odometer in the van 750.4 miles.  Lauren quickly and expertly decided while shoulder-side on the tollway last Monday that towing to the highly rated, 2 miles away, Finish Line was going to be preferable to the 24 mile location that AAA had picked.  I can say with authority that things could not have gone better, considering a transmission failure 2 states away.  Carter and his shop were nothing but professional and I'm witness to their 5 Star rating; I'd recommend their shop to anyone ..... and have.

So that was Friday's activity.  Saturday we were slated to join our oldest daughter and her partner for an early Thanksgiving feast in their downtown Minneapolis location.  My first time visiting since their recent move, I can certainly see and feel the attraction of being right down town in the thick of the things they're in the thick of.  For the time being at least, I'm content in rural Frontenac.

From their 3rd floor window.....


The Basilica of Saint Mary.....


Up on the roof, their public area "Sky Park" ..... the view of adjacent Loring Park to the southwest.


Looking northeast....a rooftop unit being hoisted on a Saturday morning.



After a wonderful and very full featured meal, we gathered 'round for some Baldor's Gate.  I'm not really a board game guy though I can play a pretty mean round of Candyland; Crazy 8's and cribbage are about as gamey as I get but we had a lot of fun and I did my best.  It was very clear that I was among experts and they were patient with me, putting off the inevitable as long as they could. 

Unlike most of this coming season's early Saturday mornings, Diamond's in Minneapolis didn't happen and as a result, I don't have my freshly shod sidecar rig wheels.  I instead helped Peg grate onions, cabbage, carrots and was lucky enough to be the taste tester for the cranberries, made all the better with the addition of a decent smidge of Jim Beam.

Youngest daughter Hanna has been home from Cleveland for the last couple of weeks, subbing with the Minnesota Orchestra and was lucky enough to be playing during the group's recording of a Mahler Symphony.  She's also played in a couple of weekend concerts and for Saturday night, her ability to obtain a couple of Comp tickets was taken advantage of.  She left our board game early to walk over to the music hall for the afternoon's rehearsal.  After a few of us suffered tragic ends at Baldor's Gate, the Mpls couple had a car club party to attend; James is quite active with the local group.  Peg and I had some time to kill before the evening's concert at nearby Orchestra Hall.

Anxious and willing to walk off some of the midday's meal, we headed for the Mpls Skyway system. We knew the shortcuts but that wasn't the point so we took the long way around when possible.  I had purposely left my coat in the van, the parking ramp is as is most everything else right downtown, connected via 2nd story skyway.  We walked a long ways, my jacket would have been redundant since though moving many blocks, we never ventured outside, not even to our eventual destination at Orchestra Hall.


 
Back to the music hall by 7:45, we were ready to settle in for the concert.



To our friends and family, wishes for a happy, safe and fruitful Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Some extra special camera work. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric. I hope to expand on my Spearfish trip soon.....statute of limitations.

      Delete