Friday, January 6, 2012

Falling Leaf Rally

Thursday morning, still a day before the rally officially started and as planned, I went out exploring the Missouri countryside.


After breakfast with friends in Potosi, I took off alone, heading northeast, though turned northwest before getting to the St. Louis suburbs.  My goal was the Missouri River and I saw it at Dundee and New Haven.


Downtown New Haven.......


On the road to Etlah.........


Thursday afternoon when I returned to the Lion's Fairgrounds in Potosi......


Once again, after Friday breakfast with the guys, I took off, this time to the south.  My destination was going to be Centerville, lunch, a fish fry, at the 21 Diner.  First stop was the State Park on the west side of Council  Bluff Lake, just off of County Road Dd.


Clayton Creek Road......


Centerville, 21 Diner ........


Next stop was Johnson's Shut-Ins State Park, the site where in 2005 the water reservoir on the mountain above had a breach, flooded the valley, altering the valley below forever.  Luckily, there were only minor injuries and no deaths.  The now-repaired reservoir is up on top, upper right in the photos below.  The scoured rocks were deposited here in the valley, just beyond the Visitor Center from where I'm taking the photos.



Elephant Rock State Park......


By late afternoon, back to the Rally, finding many new arrivals.



Saturday morning, hazy campfires and heavy early hour dew..... Very nice Paul Smart Duc and a Mamola BMW under wraps here.





After breakfast in town again with the guys, I headed east towards the southernmost St. Louis suburbs, then headed south on a clockwise loop.


Another view of Council Grove Lake, this time on a back road from the south side.....


A ~15 mile deadend.  My GPS told me the road would eventually exit onto a larger road, it faded until there was almost no trace of even a single track.  About 50 yards from the exit road, there was a gate and fence that I wasn't going to go through or around, so it was 15 miles back out.


Back at the campsite.....


Choosing to not take advantage of the on-site banquet, I headed into Potosi for a quick and light dinner, taking advantage of some free wi-fi to check email and upload photos.  The awards ceremony soon would start and I wanted to be back in time to not miss anything.  Since I wasn't on a BMW, I didn't qualify for any  awards but still wanted to see what others were winning in the raffle and ride prizes.  More important than the awards, was the traditional Anvil Shoot, something I'd heard about but not yet experienced.

Out in the open field, one of the rally attendees was flying his R/C glider; the launching process as fascinating as the actual flying.  This was while waiting for the first Anvil Shoot.  Ceremonies were started with one Shoot, then the ceremony was closed with the 2nd Anvil Shoot.


The people cleared away, the fuse being lit......


And then the big finale......


After one more night on the rally grounds, the bike already loaded on the trailer and everything packed except my tent and sleeping bag, Sunday morning I was off and on the road, headed north to Minnesota.  What a fantastic week and simply amazing fall weather.  I might just do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment