Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Short Ride

Things suddenly got very busy around here this past week and the hoped for September riding miles may have to be cut back.  After a very long day yesterday, I decided that I'd earned a short, early ride today.  Out the door at 6:30, the cats fed and 'tricked' into staying out of the garage while I pushed the Morphous out, I was down the driveway at 6:40.

Dark skies early this morning when I started that soon gave way to bright sunshine.  Truly looking like autumn, but the temp was in the upper 60's (mid-90's yesterday for a high) and with an east wind, it was quite pleasant; my favorite morning ride temperature.  Or course I headed down to Alma for breakfast.  Deciding to sit outside on the porch, my food had just arrived when some friends showed up (driving), our local Honda dealer and his wife.

"I saw the Morphous and knew it was you".

As a reminder, Alma, Wisconsin is nestled directly against the river bluff.  Most of the town is no more than 2 streets wide, all the available space there is before the bluffs behind get too steep.  Directly above town is a city park, Buena Vista with incredible views of the entire Mississippi river valley and adjoining Minnesota.  I often ride through town and past the park, but hadn't stopped since an early spring ride so today seemed like a nice quiet morning to check out the vista.  It was early enough for me to be the only visitor in the park.


My helmet off and earplugs out, I started to hear the tell-tale falling of acorns.  This big old Burr Oak was and has been giving up a gazillion of them.


The picnic tables were covered.....check out the turn-around beyond.


The stone path that almost stays upon this ridge top towards the overlook.  The slope away on both sides is steeper than it looks.  I can remember quite well some very intense Frisbee throwing here by a group of younger and much faster men.


Someone not quite as young or as fast, content to just look today......


Lock and Dam #4, Minnesota in the distance.


The Great Alma Fishing Float, lower left center in the photo.  On the Minnesota side of the river, accessed from Alma on the Wisconsin side.  I've never been there and that needs to change.  It looks and sounds like fun; it has been featured on the Food Channel, famous for the "Famous Mess" after Alton Brown was there on his "Feasting On Asphalt: The River Run."



70 miles later I was back home by 10:30, projects being tackled in some sort of order.

21 comments:

  1. Can one really blame WI for that recipe? Sure it's not from somewhere more south? Ew.

    What a pretty day over there. We were in the glooms today of a warm sticky cool with nothing terribly bright in the sky.

    My driveway and my neighbor's drive are littered with hickory and walnuts and now acorns. Hard hat area. Fat happy squirrels.

    WI is a pretty nice state, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think WI is as capable of doing things over the top as anyone else might be....probably not something tied to regions. :)

      I wonder if our year's odd climate had anything to do with seed production?

      It's a grand state and I've got more than a little affection for it.

      Delete
    2. Yes, but it seems a bit too messy for Wisconsinites. Grilled brats and cheese is pretty much the diet here with a side of apple pie and cheese! I find WI "recipes" very tidy. And by "here" I don't mean Madison.

      ;^,

      Delete
    3. Please keep in mind that the Float is as close to Minnesota as it possibly could be....that may be the explanation. :)

      Delete
  2. The "famous mess" sounds like a "clean out the fridge" type of meal and, with the exception of the smoked fish, doesn't sound too bad. Then again, it depends on the type of fish…

    Sounds like you had a great morning ride. You should do a series of posts on your various bikes and scooters. I had never heard of a Morpheus before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard,
      That's a good idea for this winter. I've posted bits and pieces about the machines but the "why this one when" might make for some interesting explanations.

      Delete
  3. I remember watching Feasting on Asphalt and thinking about how I'd like to try the "mess" without the kraut and fish. Thanks for the link to the recipe.

    I have similar pictures from Buena Vista. ..great view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that "River" series, Alton and crew stopped in our little Frontenac diner, The Whistle Stop. The farmer that runs our ground was in the diner, joking about what he was eating with the camera crew. Don't think our many neighbors have missed the chance to mention and comment on Delmar's notoriety.

      Delete
  4. It's a perfect Sunday if you can squeeze in an early morning ride. The best time of the day! The air looks crisp and fresh in your pictures, and the view is amazing. As for the mess as a breakfast choice... the reading of the ingredients alone already make my tummy feel queasy. I rather keep fasting then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, agree that morning makes great riding and it is my favorite time to be out in the elements, no matter what they are.

      I think The Mess is something you'd have to build up to.....some of us are further along that path than others.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic place to ride to for breakfast!

    Quiet rides to special places...oh the joy of it all!

    That view is stunning, absolutely breath-taking!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. The New and Improved reply....
      Deb, this area is popular for the reasons you mention. Access has been even easier these last couple of years due to the economy's pressures. Quiet, interesting and beautiful places to explore are even easier to see these days up here along the river and its valleys.

      Delete
  6. Kudos to you for getting up and out of the house early. We have a tendency to sleep in until after 7 on the weekend to make up for the 4 am mornings during the week.

    Looked like a perfect morning for a ride. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz,
      We're 4am'ers as well. I can do 5:30-6am on rare weekends but always happier if I get up and go.

      These autumn mornings make for easy remembering...looking back, many of them come back to me if I just close my eyes.

      Delete
  7. "Famous Mess" sounds like what some of my recipe experiments have turned out like. Pretty pics Coop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dar. One of these days I'll ride past MY favorite breakfast place and try the Mess for myself. I'm confident that I'll find something good there.

      Delete
  8. Coop:

    I like Alton Brown and I watched that Feasting on Asphalt series, until he had that crash and broke a rib

    I am not sure I like sauerkraut, or peppers. I would just take a plain bacon & eggs thank you. Nothing fancy for me

    There is no such thing as a quick morning ride for me. I have to ride and hour or more in each direction just to get out of town. If I had to turn around then all I am doing is riding in the urban mess without a chance to get to the open road

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      When we were still enjoying the Food Channel, AB was a real hit and we closely watched the Asphalt series.

      You and the rest of my Blog friends have brought to light and reminded me about access to good riding. Access had much to do with my break from riding in the 80's. We lived in the heart of the city and with an hour or two of rare free time, the riding I'd come to know and love became almost impossible. Things are better, at least in that vein, for my hobby these days, though we pay a high price all week long.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great place to ride to.

    Hmm, about a 2 hour trip, one way, for me. I've really got to get new tires on my bike, that would be a fun day trip. I keep meaning to ride WI 35 anyway...

    Personally, I got all excited about the "Famous Mess." I'm going to have to go try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lucky,
    Nothing wrong with 35, but get east of the river on the other roads. That's where the magic is. It starts, a bit tame, just SE of Prescott and only gets better further down.

    ReplyDelete