Sunday, October 15, 2023

October 2nd Week - 2023/10/15

My 2nd week of officially being retired and I'm making the small adjustments with aplomb.  I didn't exactly have a long way to go as far as adapting to a schedule however with my previous work schedule of 3 day weeks....Tuesdays now mean something other than they had.  This is going to be good.

I noticed in last week's paper that there would be a book-signing at the Wabasha County Historical Center on Sunday and it looked interesting.


IIRC, the oldest brick school building in Minnesota....





Still much to do in the garden, green/brown stalks, vines.....weeds....We have the last of our peppers, zillions of tomatoes that are not doing well, quickly past their prime.  One lone cabbage is still there, some carrots a quite a few potatoes are yet to be doug.

Onions are drying on racks, Dry Beans were picked and are now mellowing on their own racks.  The beans themselves were small but richly abundant!

Here I'd just started....this pail eventually overflowed.

Other outside chores that were accomplished, some old horse pasture fencing that has been waiting (years) to be pulled.



I've been watching the forecast and associated weather...Last Tuesday and Wednesday though starting in the mid-30's were expected to be nipping at almost 60 for late afternoon highs.  You might guess what that meant....as I told my friends, my new retirement status was to be flaunted.



A lovely and serene 436 miles over the two days....an absolute wander, no plan, Yellow on Tuesday then Red.  But once I started, I made my goal the revisiting of many of the roads ridden years ago and for some reason, rides ignored these last dozen or so productive years.

Fuel, coffee and a chance to warm up my hands in Arcadia.

County DD....it had been a long time.

 

A busy Tuesday lunch-time at the park in Ettrick....


Stuhr/Hall Road....







Stuhr bypasses North Bend...haven't actually been through there in many years.  South through Mindoro and the 'Cut.  I haven't been through there since '20 when I met Troy there, the time before that was with Ben when he was home on Leave in 2016.

I rode it this time with sedateness and civility....

It's OK, he kindly waved me through....you know what a hurry those motorcyclists are in!





The actual Cut...


South through Bangor, out of town on 'B', then 'J', 'JJ' and on to 'JB'.

I had just turned onto 'JB'....



Into Coon Valley for gas and a break...

Up the hill and back out to Cty 'B'.









 
Tuesday evening in Viroqua....




 
A west-facing loop to start out with, then I changed my mind.
 

 

   
 


Both the jogger and I agreed that it was a very beautiful morning.  I stopped to enjoy the quiet valley and a few sips from my thermos.






 
Mount Tabor....


On Hwy 33, just west of and headed over Wildcat Mountain....








On Hwy 27 ready to turn onto Marigold Ave.....




The 'BC' loop....another one once ridden often....

County 5 dropping down into Lake City....



Late afternoon shadows in Old Frontenac....

And home.  Based on the predictions I'm seeing for the coming days, another one of these trips is possible yet this fall.

6 comments:

  1. Been without ready access to good internet access, belated congrats on retiring! Everyday is Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom! But as my friend says, no more vacation days.

      Delete
  2. Well, I'ma gonna vote for EVERY day being Saturday over the thrill of having a vacation day.
    Dang! That Crossings book is brand new and no library has it. The author doesn't seem to have a good a reputation as that Barn Book guy, but I want to read it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be right, just sounds bad on the surface. I haven't really opened the book yet other than to page through. At the signing he gave us the fast story of a couple of the bridges along the St. Croix. A lot went on before there were DOT's.

      Appreciate your support!

      Delete