Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Wednesday around Richland Center

Another lovely riding day with some big adventure thrown in, 173 miles, a ride cut short.




A big vine hanging from the massive oak....


Stopped at the site of Seldom Seen Farm, Ben Logan's home place described in one of my favorite books, "The Land Remembers".



Stopped at Glen's place, no one home.  He's probably cooler in Texas anyway.


 Lunch at the Unique Cafe in Boscobel.


Topped off with.....Merry Berry





One of 3 bucks I saw today, this one just hopping out of the bean field.  None of them were running from the cougar I saw.

Yes, a cougar.  You don't believe it and neither did I but I saw it, I've eliminated everything else that it could have been.  Size too big for a bobcat or lynx, ears not pointed, head proportionately too small.  Just clearing a low fence, I had the ability to compare its height to the fence post.  There's simply no way that it could have been anything but.  I've checked various Wisconsin sightings and see that the DNR is requesting a sighting report, something I plan to do.  My helmet cam wasn't on, never would have caught it anyway; my 10 second intervals never seem to catch what they should.  I've purposely left my gloves off the last few days, tank bag open half way and the camera right under the open corner so that I can grab the camera with the telephoto lens momentarily after getting stopped.  I wasn't even stopped when I rounded the corner. 

I know within feet exactly where I was.



Geometry....my affinity for it and enjoyment of it has a lot to do with my early love of mapping.  At Ag School, one of my favorite parts was the Surveying unit.  Machining and my current job exploit geometry, it's all puzzles and the part of my job I still enjoy.

I see lines, arcs, shapes here and the best part?  They have beautiful colors.




Vistas from every ridge...



Not every barn is falling down, those with reasonably fresh roofs will stand a long time while some have been cared for better than others.  Just because a barn is falling down (we had one) doesn't mean every building on the place is bad or the place abandoned.  More than once these days I've made my assumption only to get closer and see a big swimming pool not far from the old dilapidated building.

My general interest in these old farmsteads is in too many of their recent fall from grace.  Long before the buildings crumble, feedlots grow weeds, machine sheds lose their luster....it's obvious that many of these places were going, if not necessarily profitable, enterprises not all that long ago.



I picked this fan up last night so that I'd be able to sleep in the van, never really needed it in there but it's been wonderful on the picnic table.  Really impressed with how long my 13000 mAh is keeping it going.


Finally today's big adventure.  It let loose just outside of Fennimore which made for a long ride home.  It's a good thing I know my way around these parts.  Only two downhill starts got me all the way back to the campground; there were some very interesting stops and left turns as I got closer to my end destination but my end destination was made.


I've got some wonderful friends....this story to be continued....


6 comments:

  1. Cougar....that was just after you saw the alien, right? You were probably just overheated. You showed a picture of your rear tire. Why? I didn't see a nail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just before actually. I’ve discovered there’s a place to report that too but not on the DNR site.

      My brand new tire is showing signs of wear, nails now forbidden.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, clutch cable. It makes it challenging to ride. Ever since I installed the spare cable (with the end covered up) I’ve not needed them.

    How do you find your way with that network of small roads? I’d get lost in a minute without a gps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that anyone will believe me but early this week while riding it dawned on me that I do a lot of shifting.

      “would be a good idea to take a look at my clutch cable”

      I’m just a little bit proud of the fact that I’m coming to know a bunch of these roads. If they squiggle, they’ve been done. These last years, we’ve been down here at least two weekends a year, the goal to string the best ones into a long series each trip. We always know the big roads and which direction they run. All we have to do is cross one of them for reference.

      Delete
  3. Coop,
    I love that machine-turned countryside! Glad to hear you made it back safe and kept the heat-stroke at bay.
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, things went almost better than they should have. You know this country, it’s hard to get bad riding even if the temps aren’t Hwy 35 perfect.

      Delete