Saturday, October 10, 2026

Almost, not quite - 1985 Honda 250 Elite - 2026/10/10

I brought the Elite home almost exactly 7 years ago, just over 45k miles on it at the time.  John had commuted on it to Rochester for years.

It ran great at the time, I ran errands on it, did an overnight camp with it once I figured out how to carry my luggage.  Then one day after shopping at Target, it wouldn't start and needed a trailer ride home.  That was 4 years ago, it was parked and then ignored.


This fall I dug it out of its corner in the garage, put it on the lift, determined to get it running again.  There had been an issue before with a loose ignition wire so once I had all of the panels off (tupperware....) I pulled the plug and found a very healthy spark.

It would start and run for a few seconds on Fluid but that was all.  It was only upon looking that I remembered the vacuum petcock and multiple hoses/connections.  I've had issues before with the non-simple petcocks and replaced had replaced them with manual versions.  This time the challenge was to find one that fit, was small enough to fit and had a reasonable hose connection.

Old one.....

So I thought I had my problem solved, it started well and ran at least that well.  Confident I rode the backway to work one afternoon.  Luckily I started early, made it as far as a mile from work when it stopped and wouldn't restart.  I found a spot to leave it, helmet and jacket and briskly stepped the .8 mile to work, only a few minutes late for a 2:00 meeting.

A text to Peg that I'd need a ride home at 4 was sent with a mostly happy acknowledgement in return.  After my bus Route, Peg was right on time.  We went to the parked machine, I got out and gave the machine a try and it popped right off as Gramps would have described it.  I quickly suited up and again, took the back way home on the quiet gravel road with Peg following behind.  We got close but not close enough to home, it stalled right at the railroad crossing and I rolled it off the road, parked in the shadow of the crossing arms.

Peg took me home, I put the receiver hitch on the truck and went after it.  Leaving it for a couple of days I had time to do my mind troubleshooting, stumbling on a memory of a couple of my old bikes having issues with gas caps that didn't breathe.  It was decided that my next testing would find the gas cap in the top box just to isolate that variable.

I'd noticed how much heat was rising off the muffler only inches below a gas line that ran almost horizontal from the tank to the carb inlet.  Time/distance had me wondering about vapor lock or the equivalent in the fuel line.  My answer was to insulate the gas line.

Yesterday I made a dozen trips out and back in our 1000' driveway.....tomorrow I'll make 20.  Another hot-for-October day is predicted, so we'll see.

I'll keep you updated.

Next and last of the collection to not run is my '83 VT500 Ascot.  It was parked in need of a battery and a fork seal.  Both things SHOULD have been dealt with right away.  A month ago it was on the lift, a remote battery was connected and with new gas.....there was new gas all over the motor and floor.  For $85 the online superstore will send me a complete setup of new carbs connected, ready to be dropped into place.  Hasn't happened yet, but will.

No comments:

Post a Comment