Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Grand Day Out

I'll shamelessly borrow today's Post title from Wallace and Grommit since yesterday was indeed a grand day out.

My original plan was, after a lazy start morning, to load the sleeper sofa and chest of drawers on to my trailer and deliver them to our oldest daughter.  Once unloaded, she and I would enjoy our own Thanksgiving meal together while the rest of our family was scattered around the country; we two the only ones of our immediate family still in Minnesota for the weekend.

Plans changed however when, speaking of Minnesota, our fellow blogger Richard from Fairbanks was discovered to also be in our state visiting members of his family.  Quick plans were made to gather in Nordeast (northeast Minneapolis) at Diamond's for coffee.  Lucky was in on the plan and agreed that an 8AM coffee time would be fine.

Many of the regulars were already enjoying their brews inside when I was up and watching at the front window around our agreed upon meeting time.  It was a wonderful surprise to see both Bridget and Richard make their way into the coffee shop.

We learned of things besides riding that we have in common as is so often the case.  I really enjoyed actually meeting and having the opportunity sit down and talk with you folks.  It will be fun to do it next time in your neighborhoods.  Thanks so much for making the effort to share an early Saturday morning!

Also present yesterday, Jack and his family were there.  If Jack had ever been at Diamond's before, it certainly wasn't while I was around.  Maybe he'll be on that bright orange Ural rig next time??

Leaving Mpls around 10, I headed 30 minutes north to our daughter's place, the (heavy) sleeper sofa and chest of drawers secure on the trailer that this time, was not hauling a two wheeled vehicle.  My cargo mostly made the trip unscathed.  So what if one of the chest legs vibrated loose and rolled away??  Checking the trailer at 6AM a few minutes from home, the leg had already worked itself loose and my secure moorings weren't bothered in the least that Katlyn's new chest now reminded me of Lucy, the 3-legged farm dog a former employer once called his own.

We were so fortunate that our daughter's friends, Lisa and Roger had graciously volunteered to help move that behemoth sitting/lying device up one flight.  I actually lost a bit of my future carrying that thing yesterday and if you have one to move??..........don't bother calling me because I'll be far too busy to help.  I'll know a guy........
 


After a deliciously prepared meal, my only contribution setting the table, we did what we could to prevent that new sofa from slipping around carelessly in her living room.  In fact, we were doing such a supreme job that a nap threatened, we then decided to take a drive, get some fresh air and spend a few minutes with Katai, her boarded pony.

It was a quiet day at the barn, only Mary, Jodi and Skylar present when we arrived.




The reason we went......or the excuse given......the feeding of grain.  Katai had to work for it first though.


That pocket surely has one more treat.......


Back to town for pie and coffee, then our good-byes for now and time for reflection on the drive home.

It was a very grand day.

17 comments:

  1. It's great that you got to meet up with some fellow bloggers. That's always a good thing.
    I see the tractor tucked away in the 3rd picture... An Allis-Chalmers WD? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad that he was so close and that we could do it; sorry that Cable was far enough off the path and schedule.

      I expected that you'd notice the A-C. Our daughter's horse has only been at this location a month or so she wasn't aware if the tractor was being used for leveling the 'floor'. I walked over and saw that the carburetor is completely missing. Spider webs confirmed that the tractor has been idle more than being used.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful day indeed, full of friendship and family. That's what's life is pretty much is all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good day for both; good and rewarding holiday weekend.

      Delete
  3. You moved around a sleeper sofa? Stronger, younger men have been known to be reduced to permanent disability doing that....

    That's great that you and Richard and Bridget got to meet and share time together, and sharing more than stories of cold!

    What is the breed of the pony? This made me vaguely remember the terms "tobiano" and "overo". Beautiful pony. I can smell and feel that arena. I'd choose being there over just about anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know we Midwesterners, we still managed to cover the weather in great detail. Raw winds and humid cold were a surprise to our Alaskan visitors.

      The pony's mom is a Haflinger and Katlyn guesses that the other half must have been pinto pony of some sort, based on Katai's size. I enjoyed myself there even though I'm not very or even a little bit horsy. I manage to like animals no matter their size.

      Delete
  4. Definitely a grand day. Again so cool that you were able to meet up with Richard and Bridget. How much outside of motorcycling we bloggers have in common shouldn't surprise me, but it usually does.

    Very nice of you to haul that sleeper sofa too. Those have to be the worst things to move.

    Beautiful pony. Been a long time since I have ridden a horse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trobairitz, the things I enjoy most about our Saturday morning coffee meets are the many subjects we cover that don't involve two wheels. I feel fortunate to have so many round friends.

      I've moved my last large mechanical sofa.

      Katlyn has a way with the equines and it was fun watching them together yesterday.

      Delete
  5. What a nice day in every way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was great to meet you and some of your riding friends. I'm glad that you had time. We thoroughly enjoyed the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for posting that you were in town and early enough. I am having trouble keeping up with everyone's blog.

      Pleasure to meet you and Bridget, Lucky as well.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad we were able to meet up! It was great meeting you. Diamond's was a great suggestion, what a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lucky, it was great that you were able to come and to meet face to face; always good if it can happen. ANY Saturday that you're in the mood, you'll be welcome, riding something or driving. You really didn't get a chance to meet very many of the guys though that can or rather will be remedied. It's quite a varied group.

      Delete
  9. Coop:

    always nice to meet up with other Bloggers and get to know each other and their other interests and hobbies.

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right Bob; so many things that get brought to a group and spun off from the motorcycles.

      Delete