Well after almost exactly two weeks to the hour, our immaculately clean Taurus is home. I picked it up yesterday afternoon, along with the settlement check but only after spending a few minutes sharing some of the gory details with the towing crew at the garage. Our intrepid tow truck driver Kyle happened to be there and not only did he have questions but his boss did as well. Boss knew our long time neighbors and was quite familiar with the area and even our farm, so he didn't need to close his eyes very tightly to imagine the rushing water across our driveway on Easter weekend.
Up until yesterday, Kyle was only able to describe conditions that morning. Now that he and workmates have my blog address, he could back up his story with images and another point of view.
I will tell you that our rural, dusty car hasn't been this clean for a long time. The crew did a great job of getting the interior dried out and as far as I could tell, my butt didn't get wet on the 15 mile drive home. They had put the car outside over night after many days of fans blowing inside, so the seats were cool but I wasn't able to detect any latent moisture. There was an inch of crusty overnight snow on the car that needed to be brushed off before I left and when I got home, I left the car outside briefly to remove as much remaining snow as possible before pulling into the garage.
The car drove perfectly fine on the way home, everything electrical seemed to work and other than being dust-free, it was hard to know that anything bad had happened. That is unless you consider a couple of wet nuts and french fries that must have floated loose from somewhere.
I really wanted to park the car at The Incident Site on the driveway and get an "After" photograph but decided that unless I could get a shot of green grass and sunshine rather than yesterday's misty-snow, I'd wait.......check back in August once conditions improve.
After the snow was cleaned off, I moved a motorcycle or two and made room in the garage for some more drying. While the interior seemed (smelled) fresh enough, once I opened the trunk, there were some obvious issues that needed to be dealt with. A power converter, an emergency compressor/light/jump machine and some tools are out to dry. Three umbrellas, normally meant for wet conditions, were probably surprised at what they had to suffer through. The fun part was down in the spare tire well.
I measured 8" of fresh water but saw no fish or other detectable life. That trunk floor cover, the sound deadening material, the jack, etc. were all pulled out, the pool of water shop vac'd out and a small portable oscillating heater was turned on high and will stay that way another day to remove as much moisture inside as possible.
I think we're good to go........no harm, no foul. That lack of a readily available vehicle with a trailer hitch that I was worried about has been, at least for the time being, taken care of which again opens up options for summer (as short as that may be) motorcycle towing trips; a very good thing indeed. :)