Monday, July 13, 2020

Multiple Days around Richland Center

I'll add some photos here that didn't make it into the daily reports, especially some of the helmet cam images that simply take too long to sort through with a laptop battery that isn't lasting long enough between charges.

I'm capturing every 10 seconds which means, according to my cyphering, 6 images/minute, 360/hour and that means give or take up to 3000/day of decent riding time.  You'd think that every 10 seconds I'd be capturing most everything I'd care to share but I can go a long way in 10 seconds and it's only the luck of the draw that allows me to capture things I hope were caught.  At my average pace, I'm traversing almost 450 feet every 10 seconds, 1 1/2 of those football fields we hear so much about.  An especially long distance when you consider the wide angle of the helmet cam lenses.

While I'm on a number and statistics kick here, the Himalayan has an A and a B trip meter with each of those trip meters keeping track of average riding speed over their respective distances.  I normally use the A box for gas fills and B for total trip miles.  My accumulated miles for the almost-week were 1176 with an average speed of 31 mph.  The Saturday ride that we did together ended up being 174 miles with gas and dinner trips into town with a higher, blistering average speed of 33 mph.  I could tell that we were really hauling ...ourselves.  Looking back once I saw disturbed gravel, the result of my burning and churning rear wheel!  Though Eric wouldn't have struggled to keep up, I'm sure there were times he was concerned;  I maybe caught a glimpse of concern when we stopped to rest.

Oh, one more thing with numbers and then I'll quit this objective foolishness and get back to subjective.  My gas mileage calculation for our breakneck pace on Saturday.  Of course, total operating economy cost/mile needs to take clutch cables plus their delivery into consideration.


Here's where we did it....


Here's what the week's worth of adventures look like....1175 miles worth.


Here the images that didn't make the daily cuts...this one a bossy pool party.


Sunday evening on the Wisconsin River .....


Women kayakers on the water....






I must have seen half a dozen of these homes in the greater neighborhood with their built-in dates of origin, this one 1903.



This one's for you mom!










The North end of Pakala Road, the puddle-free zone.



Almost a puddle but doesn't meet all criteria....






A weakened bridge....narrow ATV's only.


Southwest of Boscobel, a few of my favorite roads with the bonus of a ripened small grain sighting.  Grain is around but there are far fewer fields of it than of soybeans and corn.


More buggy tracks....


Saturday morning....



We stopped at Vetesnik's for some bike shopping....


These seem to be the big sellers lately and from what I've been hearing in 2020, it's lucky to still see some on the lot, sales have been that hot.




Kickapoo Corners for lunch....


We discuss and lament over this concept often. This reminder to us all in the 'Corners Gift Shop.


Coffee and some Blueberry Cheesecake in Wauzeka.


We always stop here....to take a break.


We saw the mail carrier go by the other way and weren't quick enough to capture the back of her Jeep.  Eric was on his game though and caught her coming back down the draw.


After getting back to camp Saturday evening and then after dinner in Richland Center, we started fire building.  I was batoning a solid chunk of oak when neighbor Ken came over to check up on us, impressed with what I was accomplishing with my little knife and a club.  Ken and his wife are Florida residents, summer campers in the campground.  He walked away after a few words and then came back with a couple chunks of hot coals from his fire to aid us in starting ours....a wonderful and thoughtful gesture.  We all stared at the smoking kindling, patient I went for my compact telescoping bellows, Ken went back to his camper for something else.  I was flabbergasted as you can plainly see here, Eric had the presence of mind to capture the event.

We soon had a Supremely Fine Fire, huffing and a' glowing!


I filed my cougar sighting with the DNR; they really only care about the 4-legged sightings and I had to guess at size and weight.  There are plenty of other websites dedicated to the taller ones.

What a wonderful week!!  Some hot rain that didn't hurt a thing, some cold rain that could have caused trouble; both of us a bit too cavalier with clothing choices and faith in week-long weather predictions.  Riding in those Mississippi/Wisconsin River Valleys offers an endless array of twisty up and down, some of them gravel, back roads.  Ask either one of us, it just doesn't get better.

5 comments:

  1. Nice photos of the trip. On a trip down the Cassiar, I had the GoPro capture 10 frames per minute for the whole trip hoping to capture a bear photo. I saw almost two dozen bear but not a single one with other camera. I eventually made it into a time-lapse video on YouTube...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richard. I tried the time lapse once and didn't think it worked well but good idea, I'll try it again with shorter intervals.

      Delete
  2. Do you and the Amish exchange waves as you go by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With rare exception, every time. Sometimes mine are subtle to not disturb the horses though I've never seen any of them shy as I meet them or as I approach from behind.

      Men, women, children, they all seem to wave if they hear or see me which they almost always do.

      Delete