Friday, January 1, 2016

I-Cycle Derby - #68

It happened today, the 68th year in a row that Minneapolis motorcyclists went for a ride on New Year's Day.  Not all of us, just a very select few.  First time for me though ....and I didn't ride, only spectated, documented and cheer on those hardy enough to actually be on 2 (4 on 3?) wheels.

We had 12 degrees F when I left home and the car thermometer read 20 when I made it to Roy's Repair shop in Minneapolis.  Arriving just after 10 AM, the ride was to begin on the dot at 10:30.  Mike, Colleen and I had met earlier for breakfast and then met on the south side to help see everyone off on their ride.

A local station's satellite truck......


 I parked a couple of blocks away as did these other participants......these folks actually hauled their machines to ride.   Bumper racks, trailers......



An interview to broadcast history and the "why".....
















 






The start was enduro-style, timed and staggered.


 


 


 Naturally there was a rugged V twin Ascot and rider there......

 



The Grom performed the only wheelie that was personally witnessed.......

Thanks Mike



 As always, young and old(er).....




11 comments:

  1. Time to add a sidecar to one of your many rigs. Then you can participate instead of spectate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, exactly what I was thinking. I'm hoping sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  2. I for one am totally amazed at the number of riders who turned out ... by the way heated grips, aren't they mandatory? I thought they were mandatory! They are on my bikes. Happy New Year and happy riding in 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, turnout was good. It could have much colder and often would have been, though last year was much closer to right at the freezing point.

      Thank you for the well wishes, all the best to you in the new year and for your upcoming travels.

      Delete
  3. So, the idea is to ride down the alley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, here's the story told much better than I can.

      http://tinyurl.com/hwt99qb

      Delete
    2. I hadn't even looked, Mike and I even made the broadcast!

      Delete
  4. Brrrrrr I think I'm quite happy as a spectator & not riding. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dar, it was quite easy just standing around and observing yesterday and it is hard for me to get excited about riding on our slippery streets with just two wheels. 3 wheels a very different story :)

      Delete
  5. What a brave bunch of two-wheeled enthusiasts riding for a good cause. I'm with Dom on this: you need a sidecar rig, Coop. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonja, I really do need a rig. Maybe by next winter.

      Delete