Sunday, March 16, 2014

The TW200's / Happy Driveway

Last night I was perusing the statistics for Coop's Corner and noticed that one of the Traffic Sources was an image from a Japanese web address.  I normally don't check or go looking but last night was curious so I took a look.

66 rows of photos, 6 in a row of some very cool and interesting 200cc, fat tired Yamaha's.  The photo of mine was down a quarter of the way or so and highlighted mine the day I brought it home (used).  From a quick look down through the many rows, only a handful, a quite small handful of the bikes shown are being used as mine is.  There were some very interesting mods done, from mild to wild.  Bobbers, choppers, sleek cafe'd bikes and so on.  For all intents and purposes, other than the removal of the kick starter, few changes over the years other than colors and paint schemes ever took place.  Mine is old enough to have the kicker but does not have a trip meter, something the later ones do include.

Just to know that some of us received our Riding Education on these fun and versatile machines.......








Mine is in the shop and on the rack right now, only needing minor maintenance.  Minor since the miles traveled last year were minimal, an advantage of spending my riding time on a variety of machines.

Here's the way I prefer to think of my own '92, though I could see myself having fun on most any of the private bikes referred to on that web page....... I just ain't that fussy.



Almost last but not least, I'll sneak these in.  I'm tired of Bad Driveway stories and photos as I'm sure you are as well.   Friday our daughter from USC flew home and yesterday was out inspecting the snow melt which she so dearly (not really) misses in L.A.  We've seen and experienced a lot of things over these years in our driveway but Saturday morning there was something new and completely different.  Most of the day we were kept at home due to this frozen 'meringue' on the driveway.  Warm winds Friday afternoon and very cold overnight temps left us with this frozen pie topper yesterday, deep pie topper.  By late afternoon, the two of us were able to walk through it and across to the other side and then by evening I was able to break it up some more with the (clearance of) plow truck/blade.  Early Saturday morning it was a glaciated mess.


Not on the driveway but rather in our 'parking' area early today.  This is where the plow truck has been resting this past week.  Note the tire tracks and in the very top of the photo, where the plow blade left its crisp angled impression.  All of the surrounding area is bare ground; this area was shielded from the sun all week in the truck's shadow.


Now for some happier time on the ol' driveway; the way a driveway SHOULD be used.  There's nothing better than two-wheeling out, anticipated excitement ahead and following that, the joy of coming home after a Good Ride.  (Note the shift into Road Gear, an extra special treat)



16 comments:

  1. I want one of those small fat tired Yam's. Brilliant little bikes, they seem right for cafe racing as well as for playing in the dirt.

    The condition of your driveway does't look very encouraging for passing to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of keep my eyes open for them, though it sounds like something different but related will be in the stable soon.

      I know it doesn't look very good but we ease, ever so gently towards Better. :)

      Delete
  2. You have bare ground ... perhaps your daughter brought spring back from LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very willing to give her credit. You can imagine the photos filled with green and even nicer colors that she was sending back from the SW.

      Delete
  3. I'm not looking forward to the frozen 'meringue' at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first walked down early Saturday morning, I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Friday overnight's flood and sudden drop in temperature left us with frozen, porous foam. The ditch is level full of snow with water running right over the top; the water using the ditch only as a geographic guideline, not a depression. Like last year when the car was flooded, water is cascading down onto our slab. Normally, water that can't get underneath rises up and over.

      Delete
  4. Coop:

    I've never seen that meringue before. Must be getting closer to spring as I can see a bit of ground. You'll have to start moving your truck around and park in different areas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of spring is here, more wet rain/snow and predicted this week. The sun is strong and anything it is able to reach does think spring is here.

      Delete
  5. Your froth is turbulence! Or maybe not.

    I vote you continue to show these awful weather related things. If you don't, then between Erik's bliss and Richard's nonchalance, I'll be the only one who looks like they are struggling with the winter/fake spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After great scientific study, we agree with your turbulence finding.

      I'm with you, pushing forward, small steps to see this transition through. Warmth and clearing are on our horizon.

      Delete
  6. I had no idea people were customizing TW200s that way - though I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Very cool. I've always thought those bikes look like a hoot to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, I haven't personally witnessed this either though I have seen much of this sort of thing in Japan using my two scooters as starting points. There are some very crafty builds and nicely finished.

      I'll stick with dirty/dusty for my own and admire theirs from afar.

      Delete
  7. Hopefully it will warm and melt little by little and the ground patches will increase.

    We've been keeping an eye out for a used TW200 for me to ride when Brad is on the XT250, but they want a small fortune for them even 10-20 years old. They are clearing out the 2013s but they still want 4k for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch for a mate for mine though that's mostly silly. If I could find a fresher one as a backup or TW #2 though.......

      They are around and as you have found, still pricey enough. Mine was tough and still worth every one of the 1500 dollars it cost me.

      Delete
  8. Neato! I love fat-tired machines and their potential for riding on just about any surface!

    Have you seen that Yamaha Bolt motorcycle? Pretty cool looking too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've seen examples of the Bolt, didn't realize they were a Yamaha/Star entity. For some reason, we do seem to be attracted to the fat tires.

      Delete