Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Very Little Mini-Bike

I joined the crew this morning for coffee and at least during the time while I was there, Paul was the only one that had ridden, he on his Ural all-winter sidecar rig; the rest of us drove.

There was another rideable machine in the vicinity however.  A couple of weeks ago, a few of the guys ventured down to Humboldt, Iowa for an auction/swap meet.  "Vintage scooters and sycles from 1979 and older....." was the press release that I saw.

Tom was one of the guys that came home with more than he left with that weekend and today we all hustled outside before he left to take a look.  There's a photo of one of these in my Scooters book but I'd never seen one before.  This one's been modified, the tub (it is a sidecar rig after all) has been replaced with what looks to me to be a coaster wagon tray.  Tom's located an actual original sidecar and will make this rig original soon.


There's an old ad online from the July 1963 Playboy that says, "Skat-Kitty the most compact scooter....weighs only 65 lbs......cast aluminum frame.....36" long  32" high........2 cycle 2 1/2 hp......over 100 m.p.g........$149.95 F.O.B. Dayton, OH......Projects Unlimited, Inc......Dept. P-BOY

Note the fold down handlebars........


 I can just imagine a little 4 year old.....little leather jacket.....little cycle boots.......maybe a cigarette dangling..........out to pick up chicks. 

Of course it wouldn't be our little 4 year old, but someone's.
 

14 comments:

  1. Cool, I didn't get the scale of just how small the mini bike is until the second picture. It sure it tiny!!! It reminds me of the mini pocket rocket style bikes of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rod's presence in the photo really helped put the little critter in perspective. You're right; it's about the size of the pocket bikes.

      Delete
  2. That is one cool little machine.

    He will have so much fun restoring it. It will be quite the conversation piece when done (not that it isn't now)

    It makes me think of the mini scooters and mini bikes the kids race around the go-cart track in Canby. They sure have no fear even at the young age of 5-6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom's collection is extensive and yet he still finds holes that need filling. I've seen videos of the small race machines that the youngsters have access to these days. It's almost enough to make me wish I were that petite again.

      Delete
  3. Coop I know a four year old who would love to make that little bike rip just as she does her pink, camo, mini ATV and she will her pocket dirt bike (once she learns to balance on two wheels.) Something tells me her Daddy has a toy problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Daddy's can have toy problems, something that might get passed on.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't realize the size in the first photo. And what does "pink camo" blind in with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some Hello Kitty bedrooms.....an insulation factory??

      Delete
  6. "Skat-kitty"? That's a new one on me too!

    And from Dayton, Ohio, of all places!

    I will try to dig up some local information on that one!

    Smaller than my Met too! Oh boy! :=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever remember seeing one or knowing that name either. This one's pretty small; I'd say small to the point of being near impossible.

      Delete
  7. Coop:

    sort of looks like a lawn mower engine, except 2-stroke. Not unlike
    a mini-bike, perfect for you (for checking your mail at the end of your driveway)

    bob
    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, you noticed. The ad I referred to mentioned a 2 stroke. This one is a Lauson 4 stroke. I haven't heard the Lauson name for years and had completely forgotten about the brand. Last time I remember being anywhere near them was 7th grade Motor Mechanics.

      Delete
  8. Coop, that reminds me of long, long ago, going through the classified ads at the back of my Dad's Popular Science magazines with curiosity, wonder and amazement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some amazing, teen-aged boy things back there....I remember too!

      Delete