Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Coffee....Washington Island May, 2010

Almost exactly two years ago, Prubert (from Sport-Touring.Net) called a 'Coffee' on Washington Island, May 16 2010.  The Milwaukee/Chicago area guys call 'Coffee's' often but I seldom get to go because I'm normally too far away.  I did make a Sunday morning coffee gathering in Dubuque that summer before but the group usually makes them without me and they make them often.  Since I've been to Door County, WI numerous times and never made the ferry ride up to the island off the most northern tip, Prubert's call was the perfect excuse to make a weekend of it.

Deciding to ignore the fastest and most direct route, I chose to make the ride over a ride based on a theme, namely taking WI #54 the entire width of the state.  I left bright and early on a Friday morning, a nicer morning than many mid-May mornings might be.  This was the west end at the Mississippi River.....


Here I am in Algoma, Lake Michigan in the distance.....


Taking #42 north along the shore of the big lake, Potawatomi State Park, site #10 was my destination.  I set up camp, then went back into Sturgeon Bay to do some sight seeing.  When I got back to the campsite, friends from the Eau Claire area had arrived and set up in the adjacent campsite.


Saturday morning I got up early and headed out for some riding around the State Park's Loop Road.  One of the stops was the Lookout Tower.


View from the tower.....


Sugar Creek County Park, on the Green Bay side of the peninsula.  This was a lovely spot I'll definitely visit again.


Bob's approval.....


Cave Point Park, Lake Michigan side....


Young Seth, Chris and Seth's dad, Mike at the lighthouse.....


Chris and I.....


Back to Sturgeon Bay from there, a bit of grocery shopping, then back to the campground for dinner around the campfire.  Scott and Steve had arrived from the Milwaukee area, spending the day doing some mountain bike riding on the way up, so our group was complete.  It was cool that night, so the fire, fine company and discussion topics all made up the perfect end of the day.

Sunday morning, early (as is my custom....ask anyone).  Scott's Wee and mountain bike racked up ......


Steve brought his on this very cool trailer.....


Breakfast time.....



The Bicycling Brothers left for home, Mike, Seth and Chris decided they'd not head over to the island and spend more time on the mainland exploring instead.  I left and headed north up through the rest of Door County, trying to budget the right amount of time to get on the ferry in time for late morning coffee on Washington Island.

Just happened to be on the same ferry with IL friends Dean and Alisha......


My intent was to arrive early enough to do some exploring on the island before the rest of the group gathered at the coffee house.  This is the ferry departure point for Rock Island State Park, the island even further out into Lake Michigan.


Schoolhouse Beach......


And finally it's Coffee Time, 13 bikes in all.  It was early enough in the season that The Red Cup was officially closing about the time we arrived.  Seeing our large group, they were kind enough to stay open and serve us.


All of us ready to board the 1PM ferry....


Ed shooting me shooting him.....


Lake Pepin and almost home.  7 hours ago we were boarding the ferry for the trip off from the island and back to Gills Rock......A fantastic weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment