Wednesday, October 23, 2024

M.E.A. Weekend In Avalanche - 2024/10/16

An annual event for public schools in Minnesota, the Minnesota Education Association conferences.....no school....no busses need driven.  Knowing this in advance I made plans to do some camping and riding, my choice of where to conduct these activities boiled down to area campgrounds that were still open for camping.  The West Fork Sports Club was a place I'd ridden by many times but had never visited.  It seemed the perfect location that would allow late October camping and as always, fantastic motorcycle riding environs.




 My burgers Wednesday evening....


 
 
And then to enjoy....while the 2nd burger cooks.
 

 And later....

 
 
 (Early) Thursday morning....


Thursday morning...





Rides Thursday (red), Friday (green) and Saturday (blue)....a casual 431 mile ride.

But my riding each day didn't start until around 10AM while waiting for the sun....to burn the frost off my handlebars.  This was 7:30 to 9:30 from my tucked in location against the west side of the Kickapoo Valley.

Thursday's ride was a mostly NE ride up to the Hwy 71 Valley which also happens to be the main path of the Sparta - Elroy Bicycle Trail.  My first destination Wildcat Indian Motorcycles in the former facilities of the Kendall Public School.  Somehow my memory card messed up and video footage was all corrupted.  I hope to return when the facility is open.  Thanks Larry for letting me know about this place.



From there I worked my way up to Norwalk....and then down to the western portal of the Bicycle Trail's longest tunnel.

 
 
The runoff diverting flume....
 




 

 

 
 
Dinner Thursday evening....


A snack for later.....


 
Friday morning, Outside/Inside.....



 
 
Friday morning, Pizza Popcorn at Sunrise Bakery....

 
 

Oatmeal Raisin cookies, a Blueberry and Strawberry Rhubarb pie, plus the Pizza Popcorn.  I ate half the cookies over the weekend, half of the Blue pie, everything else made it home.  Consensus here, the Pizza crunch a bit salty but an overall 4 out of 5 stars.

 

After dropping my goodies off at camp, I took the long way to Viroqua to meet Roger for lunch at the Noble Rind.

 
 
Friday afternoon out along the river, a stop for fuel and coffee in Genoa



 
 
 
 Friday's dinner....quite good if I say so myself!
 
 
A slice of Blueberry....

Saturday morning....


The Kickapoo is known for its fishing....

Lunch in Readstown....

 South of Readstown....Eric and I may not be able to tell you exactly which road this is on but we've been past this old school many times.


Through Gays Mills....

 
Made the pilgrimage once again...to the site where Ben Logan grew up, the neighborhood and farm that was the inspiration for "The Land Remembers".  It will soon be time for my annual, seasonal re-read.


The "Hogback", an interesting geological feature in a valley north of Stueben.


 
 
I crossed the river on the soon-to-be-replaced Lansing Blackhawk Bridge and had footage of doing so but lost that too....somehow.  With time and inspiration, I for the first time walked across the street to do some shopping at Horsfall's.
 
After coffee.


 
 
In the park right next to the Kickapoo, my guess these are parts from an old waterpower mill in Avalanche?



 
Loaded Saturday evening for my early Sunday departure

I stopped for dinner Saturday at the Buffet in Viroqua, a favorite that did not disappoint.  A quick stop at Walmart before heading east on Cty Y to Avalanche....

 
Back at West Fork...one More fantastic evening!!

I left Sunday morning around 5am, stopped in Coon Valley for a coffee....

Crossed the river and stopped for breakfast in LaCrescent....

Home nice and early Sunday morning after an exceptionally perfect M.E.A. long weekend!

The Himalayan finished the weekend with the odo showing 29967 miles.  It will have at least 30k before it sleeps for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment