Sunday, January 6, 2019

So Much To See

I've been invited I don't know how many times and just couldn't find a way to justify the 2 hour one way tip on a Sunday but this year was different.  My email invitation arrived so I forwarded that to numerous friends that I was quite positive either didn't know about the event or wouldn't be receiving an invitation of their own.  Responses started coming back....."Doug, we'll be in ______ ".....or ...."I'll be busy with ______".

Then, "...take a bunch of pictures and Post them on your blog".  So, feeling a huge and responsible commitment, I acquiesced and made the trip to the west of Minneapolis to carry out my duty.  There are a LOT of images here, though if you enjoy the content, not TOO many.  Now you've been warned!

I know almost nothing about most of the items shown......I know people that DO however so if you see something you have a question about......

Some great background here.


If you care in the least about the subject matter, I'd strongly encourage you to look at these images full size on a large screen.  That might go at least a little ways towards making up for my poor photography.

 
























































































My finger.....








My brother and I, with our parents, toured the USS Missouri while she was in Bremerton, Washington.  I can still remember the massive 16" guns on deck.  From Wikipedia..... Missouri's main battery consisted of nine 16 in (406 mm)/50 cal Mark 7 guns, which could fire 2,700 lb (1,200 kg) armor-piercing shells some 20 mi (32.2 km).







I don't remember these at all!



23 comments:

  1. Wow!! Whatever I did today pales in comparison - I have got to get to this place! I wouldn't kill for that Thruxton, but maybe some maiming....Thank you, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buddies kept telling me that I had to go and now I'm so glad that I went.

      Delete
  2. Quite impressive, that 16" projo. Quite the collection of stuff as well, I think I'd like to visit the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, I walked through, then did it again and again, finally going counterclockwise instead, seeing new things on each trip.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Michael, It was running when I walked up to the door and my feeble recording doesn't do the big 8 justice. It was on its fast idle, making music.

      Delete
  4. Exelent photos Doug! Thanks for forwarding the e-mail invite to this event it was AMAZING!!! My son Chad, his friend Justin, Mark, and I had a Blast discovering some of the cool things displayed and meeting some new and very interesting people too! We all had a Fantastic experience! We will return!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big trip for you guys but I really hope that you'd be able to make it; I gave you as much notice as I could, the email BCC'd as soon as I got it.

      Knew you'd find plenty to look at :)

      Delete
  5. Always a entertaining event.. it's almost impossible to take it all in and with all the food no one is go'n home hungry.
    The number and types of machines on display change each year... last year.. army half track and Ford 64' Sprint... this year a Dart and Jag... luv the Jag but there were built for tweed jacketed Brit's.. not well fed gringos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been after me every year, last year you talked my brother into a visit. Thanks Mike.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the pics, looks like it would take hours to look at all that stuff, very impressive collection

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely stayed long enough to wolf down some chili and a sloppy joe, didn't stay for the band. I'd promised to be home early afternoon but easily could have stayed long enough to see more and to listen to the band.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! It is like stepping back in time. There is something for everyone to see,,,quite nostalgic...great food & music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. darn I forgot about that I wanted to go
    maybe next year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll all have to remind each other. First Sunday after New Year's?

      Delete
  9. Mom had a Desoto with the fins.And she bought a new 1964 dodge dart wagon.Put a lot of miles on that car.Had a dodge dart gt convertible too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Slant 6 might be back. There's room for a turbo charger on that side of the engine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever remember hearing anything negative about that slant 6. Friend Joan loves her husband, her kids but not far behind them was her old Dart.

      Delete
  11. Great pictures. I had a hard time trying to figure out what kind of event this was. I like the Lucas poster...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, essentially an open house at a museum I suppose. Poor Lucas...:)

      Delete
  12. Wow, how long could one wander though there and still miss a ton of good stuff? I think you did it justice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, as mentioned, I wandered through making a few rounds, then went back and did them again the opposite way and kept seeing new things. These images have been shared with many of my friends and since then we've all agreed about the many things seen and missed. The "...did you see....?" have been common.

      Delete