Sunday, December 17, 2017

Gramp's Description of His Motorcycling Start

Gramp wrote the letter below to dad on September 5, 1951, the date of which was important because dad was still in the hospital recovering from his July 10, 1951 motorcycle accident.  This was the first in a series of letters shared with my dad, going back into his dad Allen's past.  Knowing what I now know both from what I remember of stories told and recently old letters read, this series of letters was about reflection and healing for the both of them.

Dad's time in the hospital was long, his number of drawn out days and visitors over those days were many.  I have a scrapbook here with literally hundreds of cards and letters at the end of which are many letters from attorneys, the Vet's Hospital in Minneapolis, State Court in Superior, Wisconsin about the lawsuit that took months and finally years to settle.  Interesting now for me to look back on, knowing that as a very young Coop most of it managed to be in my parents' past by the time I might have been able to be aware.

My focus here is to point out why Gramp was reviewing his past, this very beginning a part of his story I don't ever remember hearing about in numerous, repeated stories that mostly focused on the machines and less so on the absolute beginning circumstances.

I thought about running this through OCR, something I haven't done now for years and was once all too experienced at when I was pulling legacy documentation into a digital system for my employer.  Anyway, it's probably better that I let Gramp's typing stand on its own.

Here are 2 screen grabs of the scan of that first letter of which there were 6 in all over the span of a couple of weeks.  It would be months of P.T. before dad came home and I have to believe that these history lessons helped in that recovery.



Dad made the paper and some years later, his attorney left Wisconsin for Washington.




8 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool to have this correspondence between your dad and grandfather, such history. I enjoyed reading it and look forward to the next chapters, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, it has been fun getting more detail and context to the parts of the stories that I missed or didn't appreciate as a little guy. The big picture is getting 'corners'. :)

      Delete
  2. Those were certainly harder and different times your grandfather lived in....very cool stuff.

    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dom, certainly harder than those most of us have grown up with. I'm working on the next one though it may not be the next Post.

      Delete
  3. I especially enjoyed reading about how the motorcycle bug bit your grandfather. Not many people get to know the inner workings of their grandparents minds like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brandy, I feel fortunate that I got to know and spend as much time with Gramp as I did. Nothing in his letters are surprises about who and what he was; the newly discovered details only help to fill in the sharper corners.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing that intimate family history Doug. All those events are relatively recent. We take for granted our immense good fortune with all the trappings of modern life, fancy cars, motorcycles, air travel, and money to buy most anything we need. It’s important to have the perspective. Thank you so much.

    All the best to you and your family for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thank You. Going through the old papers and correspondence is like panning for gold where I only see and grab the largest stones....certain that all sorts of value is getting away but those I recognize as something personally valuable to me has been so rewarding.

      Thanks much for the holiday wishes; the very same to you and yours!

      Delete