Friday, January 5, 2018

Little Help??

I've done my best but way, way better than that, I've had a couple of my friends that ARE good at this sort of sleuthing trying to help me figure this out.  We've got hints, a couple of hunches (which I won't divulge here to prevent sending things off in a wrong direction) of rough ideas of where this item's origins are.

It was in my dad's sister's things but that isn't really much of a clue.  She spent her entire life living with her parents, didn't get out much on her own and for all I know, didn't correspond independently with people outside of close family and family friends.  My best guess is that this is either something that was given to her or as in many of the discoveries I've been making in clearing out mom and dad's house, this is something that belonged or was given to her mother or dad (my grandparents).

As I've been mentioning, Gramp was never overseas, instead serving his country in Georgia and Indiana during the first World War and I don't think this is the City Seal from Terre Haute but then I shouldn't be assuming anything!

So, this is the piece of gold-colored jewelry that I found in one drawer of auntie's jewelry box.  Anyone out there in Radioland recognize the symbols, the meaning, the origin, club, organization, group, .....anything?






If you can provide a clue or know someone else that might help, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.  Not that big of deal in the grand scheme of things but I've become very curious about this.

On a more relevant front, it's cold, it's snowy and things are happening in the garage but that's not all.  The State of Minnesota got richer today.  The way I've done it in the past and how I expect to do it again....as the machines come into the shop to get ship-shape for Spring, their 'reward' is an updated license tab.  No one gets a sticker until they've been processed.  There are a few machines with plates designated CLASSIC which means they are perpetually Good To Go and don't get these trophies.


Then there's this.....


Basecamp remains in place on the Desktop, mapping, roads, campsites, Places Of Interest are accumulating as the daylight grows.

Added 1/19 -------


19 comments:

  1. The pendant is very cool. I have no idea what it could symbolize and I am sure you got the same Google results as any of us.

    I used to know how to go a Google image search to find "similar" photos to see if someone else out that has a photo of the same pendant, but I forget how.

    Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the pendant hadn't been so intricate, I'd never have paid much attention. The detail and images I couldn't really put 'together' is what started my hunt.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you doing your part to support the state coffers! On the symbols, sorry I can be of no help. Good Luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I thought it was fun...this time of year we all get our bike registrations in the mail. The day I was in the office, 6 other people. 5 of the guys were re-upping their bikes.

      The woman helping me at the counter made the comment that my stack was "a lot of motorcycles". There was a muffled cheer from more than one of the guys in line; the guy right behind me said, "hard to have too many!"

      Delete
  3. The six pointed star and the crescent moon were common religious symbols. It is even on early roman coins. In Fairbanks, once your vehicle is 7 years old, you can get a permanent tag and there is no more renewals needed. Is "Classic" restricted to only so many miles per year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, I don't know and haven't looked up the exact wording of the law but the bike needs to be 20 years old, limited use is (or was?) expected AND you must have at least one motorcycle that is on the yearly plan.

      I remember when the on-the-street rule was limited use, not for commuting...special events.

      Delete
  4. Oh well, I gave it my best shot, and came up dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thanks to you and everyone else that tried. I found almost nothing on my own, certainly no more than any others that spent searching time.

      Mike was on an antique site, shared the photo that I sent him and the response was a quick one.....

      "Victorian gold filled watch fob"

      I did a search using those exact words and have looked now at what must be thousands, certainly hundreds. I DID see the exact chain long chain w/short extension which I've tried to find once again and have almost hurt myself trying. No where have I seen this pendant though.

      Again, thanks ALL for the help!!

      Delete
  5. Take it to a synagogue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stopped at a jewelry store,the six pointed star is Hebrew. They suggested taking it to a synagogue.camped next to you at guzzi rally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take you up on that suggestion, thanks. Looking forward to camping next to you again, north and south.

      Delete
  7. A follow-up here.....

    Fellow Blogger Erik contacted me offline with photos and a description of the watch fob that he inherited from his family. As I told him, his words, "...sometimes a fob is just a fob..." made perfect sense and struck a cord. Just maybe I was trying to hard but it was the intricacy and detail that had (have?) me convinced that there was more meaning to the symbols that just 'cuz.

    So, with that in mind, I'll continue the hunt but with much less fervor and at least for the time being, am content with "just a fob".

    Thanks Erik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem.... I think it was Freud that said... "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar".

      Delete
    2. Overall I've heard some good things about that guy.

      Delete
  8. Showed picture to a Rabbi today. Have to find an older one. The symbols,star,moon,the bottom-5fingers or hand refer to things he knew about. But it stumped him. Mike,dsm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are there any markings on the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, I'll get a photo this afternoon. Plain back, a locket insert that has been pushed inside.

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete